Monday, December 16, 2019

Mission 3; Blog 1

 Process

For this mission we decided to undertake Image Visualisation as although all of the topics for this mission were quite abstract, Image Visualisation seemed to be the most accessible choice. 

The next step in our process was to fully decipher the title of the mission which involved reading the suggested material and deciphering a shared theme between the material. During the process of reading the material I became quite fond of many of the ideas in the articles and set out to create somewhat of an amalgamation of some of the ideas I had found. I became enthralled by the idea of presenting a film as a single long exposure image but came to the realisation that I was limited by the hardware I had and that taking a two hour long long exposure on my camera wasn't feasible so I had to abandon that idea. I instead adapted that idea into the more manageable idea of presenting a single popular film scene as a single image comprised of individual frames from that scene. This idea then led me to ponder what else I could overlay in this manner. This led me to think of the overarching theme for our project which was presenting popular/famous images in a way that is distorted but not completely unrecognisable, I wanted to explore the idea of there being a threshold of recognisability. This led me to my final ideas of overlaying unedited photos of popular things to find if there was a point reached where even though the images were unedited, the simple overlaying distorted them enough that they'd become unrecognisable. This overarching theme served very well for dividing the work between the three members of our group by allowing each person to undertake a different sub-topic within the theme, creating a cohesive body of work and also facilitating the ability to help each other through the difficult editing process.

I knew that I would need some sort of image editing software like Adobe Photoshop so I decided to use Gimp. There was then the additional hurdle that I had little to no image editing experience or knowledge and had no experience with Gimp bit through a series of trial and error experimenting while making mock-ups of my ideas I eventually gained an acceptable level of knowledge, enough to complete my task.

The last major problem ahead of me in the process of completing this mission was coming up with an idea for our final video presentation as I felt that the whole mission warranted creativity and I didn't want our video to fade into the possible monotony of some of the other video presentations. Our chosen topic of image visualisation also inspired some creativity and innovation when it came to presenting the visual media that we were creating as a generic presentation would counteract the entire purpose of the mission. These requirements landed me on the idea of presenting our work as a Gameshow due to the nature of the content we were attempting to create, the ambiguity of the images would fit perfectly into the gameshow format.


No comments:

Post a Comment