Thursday, October 10, 2019

Mission 1; Blog 1

Process


At the beginning of this mission I had initially decided to do Creative Coding but then became enticed by Adaptation, Mashups, & Remixes. I joined an existing group doing Adaptation, Mashups & Remixes but then encountered the challenge of narrowing down a specific task to take on within this broad topic.

As Cian and I discussed the Mission we seemed to land on a common ground of political media although we both also have our own unique ideas which we want to entertain. Our goal is to collaborate to expand our knowledge on Adaptation, Mashups, & Remixes and to create and experiment with many different forms of them.

I have been entertaining the idea of several different sub-genres of content and have been enticed by several of them such as:

  • Pecha Kuchas, which fellow group member Cian introduced me to. Which are a form of editing which originated from presentations which involves composing your video/presentation of several unique slides/clips, each of restricted but equal length, and arranging them to fit within a certain time-frame, commonly one minute.
  • Political Memes/Edits, especially Spongebob Squarepants edits due to their popularity and the availability of clips
  • Remixing old War posters to highlight modern problems
  • Using juxtaposing media to accentuate the impact or message of the other
I have trialled a few of these ideas but am yet to be completely satisfied with any of them so far though I am developing deeper interests in some of them. I have also encountered a few problems with resources such as some of my ideas being out of my own skill-set or a lack of assets in relation to and idea which I can access. Although, obviously, most of my time has been spent thinking of and trialling ideas, a fair amount of it was spent searching for assets that I could actually use for the ideas I was actually trying to create.

After quickly reviewing some laws on copyright I have come to the conclusion that I should be fine to employ some media from the internet such as YouTube clips or songs as long as I do not use them for monetary purposes or share them outside of the educational/classroom environment.

So far in my trialling I have become interested in the creation of political satire and may pursue it further but am completely open for my interest to develop and for my ideas to adapt to the resources that become available to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment